Monday, August 4, 2008

Off to Calgary?!

Hello from Alberta!
About a month ago I received word that I had been accepted as a Water Project Intern with CIDA and Samaritans Purse! At the time I was at camp in the midst of a busy transition between the roles of Tripping Coordinator and Woodland Challenge Assistant Director and the news came as a HUGE surprise. I also found out that due to time constraints placed by CIDA, the internship schedule had been pushed forward to commence August 5th rather than the end of the month, placing me in a very sticky situation!! Fortunately, I was blessed with a boss and fellow leaders that were willing to allow and help me to leave WC early and accept the internship position. The past few weeks have FLOWN by as our fabulous WC staff came together, campers arrived and high-energy programming flowed! As we prepped for the 10-day canoe trips I tried to wrap my mind around the idea that when they departed, so did I...for six months! After a bittersweet goodbye, both Sara and Andrew headed to the woods to lead WC canoe trips, Becky got ready to prepare for the rush of LIT canoe trips and I headed home. It was very hard to leave Woodland as we have had such great kids this summer and the program is close to my heart, but it was reassuring to know that Jeff and this summer's fun and talented team of staff will it all under control!
Over the past 3 days I have had a whirlwind weekend visiting fr
iends and family and finishing up some medical paperwork with my doctor. Much needed packing didn't actually happen until about 6 hours before my flight and involved me taking a bit of everything, unsure of what I really need...yikes! I just arrived in Calgary, where I'll be for the next 3 weeks and am staying with a lovely Samaritan's Purse staff family. Tomorrow I start training and hopefully become enlightened as to the details of the next few months! So far I know that I will be working on Water Projects in the HONDURAS!! Ahhh! Sooo excited! I'm so sorry to have kept so many people out of the loop, but the past few weeks have been CRAZY and I am so pumped to be able to catch my breath here in Calgary and catch up on many long needed communication! I hope everyone is doing great, wherever you are!
xoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxo

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting Idea,a Blog ???
Bruce is bringing your extra winter clothes bag. I dropped it off at 4:30 this afternoon. Just what you neede more stuff.

David Squires said...

Wow Heather, how cool! I look forward to hearing about Honduras, the good, the bad, AND the ugly. I'm sure there'll be plenty of all three.

I can see the headlines in four months time, "Young intern, Heather Douglas, discovers new water source while white water canoeing through the jungles of Honduras. In her spare time, Miss Douglas, an avid back country canoeist, has navigated all 17 major rivers in Honduras, monitoring water quality and making recommendations to local authorities on how to best utilize their water resources.

Have a blast Heather. I'm envious!

David Squires